The AR platform relies upon gas to function. The amount of reciprocating mass, typically the bolt, bolt carrier, and the buffer, when combined with the springs and gas effects the cyclic rate and related function of the weapon. Achieving operational perfection is dependent on achieving the proper balance between the three and tuning the system in the proper sequence.
Advantages of an optimized buffer system:
- Reduced wear and damage to internal parts of the AR
- Reducing chamber pressures and carrier speeds
- Provides for a smoother operating buffer system and one that aids in reducing felt recoil
- A side benefit is that it aids in reducing sight/dot movement during recoil
- Increased reliability when the weapon is fouled